Wednesday, August 06, 2008

I have a Question!

Quick Question:

When you look at a swatch of stockinette knitting and see that the V's, although looking very pretty and producing a nice fabric, look upside down (because the space between the "n" loops is bigger than usual) do you:

a) go up a needle size
b) go down a needle size
c) don't worry about it, it will block out
d) after numerous attempts to fix said stitch origin looking problem, use needles to stab yourself in the neck (like the girl does on The Happening with her hair stick)
e) although you don't drink at all, consider that this is as good a time as any to get drunk
f) whine to your husband about it and become so desperate you seek non-knitting husband's advice on what the problem is. Listening attentively as his scientific mind attempts to make a mathematical problem/equation of your dilemma.
g) seek kind sympathetic, yet experienced, advice from your favorite knitting blog readers.
h) wish that Meg Swansen would stop by unexpectedly for Teatime and to help you with any knitting problems.

Although I'd prefer h), I'm going with the much more realistic g).

Come on , knitters, shower me with your experience and advice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I've ever had the problem! Or noticed it. Did you try a row or two in a larger/smaller needle just for comparison?

Anonymous said...

Honey I don't even understand your question...I do think you're over thinking just a bit. Measure your swatch, count your V's, and go from there with the rest of the necessary math. Stop worrying!!! And please stay away from d).

Jessica said...

I think I need to see a picture. Although if you like the fabric you're producing I'd say proceed. If it looks, as Meg would say, sleazy then go down a needle size.

Anonymous said...

Can you provide a picture of the problem? Also, what does the back of the swatch look like?

Unknown said...

I am not sure why there is more space between one leg of the stitch than the other. If you have looseness I would say go down a needle size. If you are using the inappropriate yarn for the gauge and needle you will have a loose fabric. But I have yet to see more "space" between one side or the other. The tepee (my description of the "n") is where one stitch is sitting butting up against another. The v is made with 1 stitch.

Just make sure you have the right size yarn, using the right size needle and are achieving the right gauge. If not, they go down a needle size. Hope this helps, cause d is just too scary to think about.