Thursday, January 19, 2012

Quick as a Snap

It's the middle of January in the Northwoods and as usual that means the bitter windchill and freezing temps are in full force, currently it's -6F with a windchill of -25F. Strangely kids still play outside and we still ski, ice fish, snow shoe and cross country ski. So warm hats are a biggie. I had been asked to knit a couple of hats for two girls at Madison's Ballet School, so I wanted something quick but very cute. The colors requested for the sisters were Red and Pink, and knowing the mother I knew I was safe in going with better quality yarn. Let's be honest, the only way I was going to knit these hats was if I could knit with whatever yarn I wanted to.

I decided on some Ariosa yarn (merino/cashmere blend) and found the Snappy Hat pattern on Ravelry. The first hat (pink) took me about 2 1/2 hours and the second hat (red) took me closer to 2 hours. The difference being I was reading a book with the first one.

I asked Madison to model them for me and she fell in love with both of them and has now requested that I make her some more as her coat allows her to pick and choose whatever color suits her mood. She looks so darn cute in them that how can I resist.

IMAG0467
IMAG0464
IMAG0465
IMAG0461
IMAG0472

Pattern: Snappy Hats (Free Pattern on Ravelry)
Yarn: Classic Elite Ariosa 1.1 Skeins
Started: Pink 1/18/2011 Red 1/19/2011
Finished: Pink 1/19/2011 Red 1/19/2011
Took approx 2 1/2 to 2 hours each
5th & 6th Project for 2012
3rd & 4th Project for Warm Up Winter KAL

This is a great project for quick gifts. Highly recommend!

What's your go to quick gift knit? Any suggestion for what hat or mitts I should knit next?

No comments: